Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aeon PW a Never Winter Nights 1, Persistent World.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need some coding help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Damage

Mr Damage

Need some coding help Empty
PostSubject: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 11:39 am

Hi everybody!

Haven't been around for a while because I've been busy bringing a personal project to a close. I've finally finished an Ebook that I'm getting ready for market on CD. Anyhow, I know a lot of you guys are guru's when it comes to computer stuff, so I thought I'd throw out a few questions in the hope that some of you guys could answer them or, maybe point me somewhere to where I CAN find the answers to these minor things. Anyhow, here goes...

1/ I can burn my PDF onto a disc, thats all good. But does anyone know what I would need to do to make the PDF auto open when you insert the disc?

2/ I would like to change the graphic icon of the PDF on the disc to the one I made. How would I do this?

3/ You need at least adobe7 to read it. Would Adobe mind if I burned a version of their 'free' read software alongside my Ebook onto my product disc for the customer?

anyhow, just thought I'd be lazy and see if anyone could help me out with this before i actually had to do any work myself and go looking Need some coding help Icon_wink Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Mr D
Back to top Go down
Mr Damage

Mr Damage

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Actually, it's quite easy to get an adobe reader redistribution license! I've sorted that one out Need some coding help Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
Caffiene

Caffiene

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 12:54 pm

1) From memory you just create a file autorun.inf:
Quote :
[autorun]
open=YourPDF.pdf
icon=YourIcon.ico
Only thing is I'm not 100% that "open=" is the correct command for viewing a pdf. Usually you'd be pointing it to something like a .exe file, that runs itself. But I think its correct... easy enough to test if you've got a spare cd.

edit: Actually, quick research shows maybe "shellexecute=" is the better choice. Then it will consult Windows' file associations to find the correct program to open the file with.

2) Changing the icon of an actual pdf file you might have a bit of trouble with, because the icons are usually set by the reader program. I cant think how to do it off the top of my head.
But the "icon=" above can set the icon for the entire CD to that icon. The other simple option is to put the pdf in a sub-folder and have a shortcut to it in the root folder. Changing the shortcut's icon is as simple as Right Click->Properties->Shortcut Tab->Change Icon. Just remember to put the icon on the disc as well and have the path pointing to that file.
Back to top Go down
Mr Damage

Mr Damage

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 4:23 pm

cheers for that Caff! Am going to have a tinker with it Need some coding help Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Mr Damage

Mr Damage

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 5:46 pm

ah, your a legend Caff Need some coding help Icon_cheers

Got it to work!

[autorun]
shellexecute=(myPDF)

...in a notepad text file named "autorun.inf" burned onto the disc with my PDF got it to open on CD insert. many thanks Need some coding help Icon_lol Need some coding help Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Mr Damage

Mr Damage

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:46 pm

I forgot about this thread!

http://www.joesbuyonline.com

Need some coding help Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
sporaxis
Admin
sporaxis

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:36 am

Noice work....!

Some things to consider..

What does a user do when it doesn't auto run?
What about when disc is put into a Mac (bleh bad taste, must go wash mouth)
Have you thought about credit card sized CDs, with your details and books details on them printable side.
Do you have a help file on disk, do you need one.
Is pdf secured to prevent other ripping stuff easy, unless you want them to do so?
Have you updated the embedded meta data in the pdf to ensure your details etc, version are captured?

Cheers

Ken
Back to top Go down
http://sporaxis.blogspot.com
Mr Damage

Mr Damage

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptyWed May 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Quote :
What does a user do when it doesn't auto run?
Intructions clearly marked on the jewel case should such a situation present itself
Quote :
What about when disc is put into a Mac (bleh bad taste, must go wash mouth)
It does a 5 second countdown and then detonates.
Quote :
Have you thought about credit card sized CDs, with your details and books details on them printable side.
Not really, ive got all that art on the larger disc and the jewel case inlays. Proffesionally printed and burned by... http://www.mediamovers.com.au/cd?referral=adwords&kw=Cd_Printing_only&gclid=CMOvk8eO150CFc0vpAodgBRssA
...so its got that glossy 'music cd' quality finish with the inlays and on the actual disc. Didnt want a smaller disc, felt it was a good idea to have the larger disc so the consumer is happy to part with more money for it lol.

Quote :
Do you have a help file on disk, do you need one.
yes, on the disc and in the front cover inlay book for those in a pickle.

Quote :
Is pdf secured to prevent other ripping stuff easy, unless you want them to do so?
To get it write protected, you need a certain batch size and its extra for the printers to do it. Didn't feel the need for it as ive only run off a few for a 'pilot' trial. But yeah, the pdf is secured but don't hold much stock in that with crackers and what have you these days.

Quote :
Have you updated the embedded meta data in the pdf to ensure your details etc, version are captured?

I think so lol.

The problem I do have is marketing. I don't want to do pay per click but i want to 'get it out there' so to speak. Still working on that part.
Back to top Go down
DM_Phaedrus

DM_Phaedrus

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help EmptyThu May 20, 2010 5:38 am

I could probably help with marketing, need to know more about what it is, who is aimed at etc.

PM me if you like, but I am away this weekend and then back to work for 6 days, so my response may not be speedy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some coding help   Need some coding help Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some coding help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aeon PW :: Player Discussion Area :: Player - Open Forum-
Jump to: