Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis

Aeon PW a Never Winter Nights 1, Persistent World.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jamoise

PostSubject: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:45 am

I just remember this from mysty and a few others servers, where chests that are destroyed as opposed to disarming the trap and unlocking it, means that some of the contents are destroyed and broken as well, Im not sure if something like that is already in effect in aeon, but I always thought it was a good idea, you never knew if something was destroyed or not in these other servers though, maybe there could be debris of an item left behind if by breaking the chest you destroyed the item, that way people would know that they broke the item when they destroyed the chest and they can swear at themselves for it Razz

Cheers

Jamoise
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hino

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 am

I know I play a rogue and all and I should be for this...But no. Bad Jam, BAD! If by some chance the big strong warrior is stupid enough to break through the chest, destroying the item at the same time, and it was magical. The lovely magical explosion that "should" happen upon the destruction of magical items would tear that place apart.

Also I hated the fact that just because you could not pick a lock or disarm a trap, it was basically saying you cannot have whatever is inside so deal with it. I am all for making rogues more important, but all that did was promote rogue mixes and mages to just cast knock and then buff to the extremes and spring the trap themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am

it should only have a chance of destroying the items, and not everything and not everytime, say if there was 2 or 3 items in the chest 1 might get destroyed at a 50/50 chance. that would make it, good to have a rogue type along, but not essential, It just means if you are a big warrior type, you WILL occasionally break something inside the chest when you brainlessly beat the chest to a pulp.

edit: maybe also put a self reseting trap on random chests, so Its freaking annoying to have to stop after a few hits to drink a health potion while your hitting it Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caffiene

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 am

I can sort of see the point of the idea in general, but on Aeon I dont think its a good idea while there are so few people around to party with.

Missing out on an item because I didnt bring a rogue with me is ok if I can bring a rogue with me... If Ive been waiting around for 3 hours and there hasnt even been a rogue logged in, let alone nearby, then its a bit harsh to be penalised. It starts to feels a little bit like a tax on playing a pureclass character instead of taking a minor in rogue or mage for purely mechanics reasons.

The other problem is that brainlessly beating on the chest is the only option youre given... I cant take a flask of acid and burn off the hinges to open something... I cant pick it up and take the whole chest back to town to a locksmith... I cant trick an enemy into opening the chest and then surprise them... And so forth. Its a little harsh to be punished for taking the "stupid" option when there are no other options available.

You already have the downsides of having to take a hit from traps instead of disarming them, not being able to reuse the item (cant close a door behind you or store something in the chest for later), not having the bonus loot of recovering a trap, not being able to do anything while invisible or stealthed, and the Aeon AI can sometimes notice combat from a significant distance so you risk alerting monsters in other rooms if you bash something. Im not sure more penalties are needed...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:59 am

I had a big list of things about your downsides but, instead of a penalty, ill just say, how about a bonus then for classes who can disarm traps and unlock things, I heard that there maybe an XP bonus for disarming and unlocking in the works, but maybe an "extra" search bonus when looking in chests they detrapped and unlocked instead of destroying, IE maybe they will find a bonus item in a secret compartment, or extra gold *shurgs* just throwing ideas, Myself Id be content with the xp bonus for disabling and unlock, and perhaps a merchant available that will at least give me something for my excess traps. (a few more lockable doors would be nice too Razz )

also perhaps if a "single" merchant that buys traps where available it might make your "traps are bonus loot" comment seem more feasable Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caffiene

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:13 am

Jamoise wrote:
I had a big list of things about your downsides but, instead of a penalty, ill just say, how about a bonus then for classes who can disarm traps and unlock things, I heard that there maybe an XP bonus for disarming and unlocking in the works, but maybe an "extra" search bonus when looking in chests they detrapped and unlocked instead of destroying, IE maybe they will find a bonus item in a secret compartment, or extra gold *shurgs* just throwing ideas, Myself Id be content with the xp bonus for disabling and unlock
Yeah... those are ideas Id definately be in support of. I think the idea of "missing out" bugs me mostly because so far Aeon doesnt have a lot of interesting or thematic treasure to find, and its very hit or miss whether you find anything at the end of a hard slog through an area, so being short changed exaggerates that fact. But the reverse, having more reward available for going the extra yards, is great.

Quote :
and perhaps a merchant available that will at least give me something for my excess traps. Also perhaps if a "single" merchant that buys traps where available it might make your "traps are bonus loot" comment seem more feasable Razz
There is a merchant that buys traps Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:36 am

the only time ive seen a merchant buy a trap, is when it was a bioware found trap, that you find as part of loot drops, if you recover one, its flagged as stolen, and even though mr half orc buys stolen goods, he doesn't buy traps.

Edit: its buy not by
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 pm

Im mistaken, he does buy the traps, though he doesn't give the same prices as what he says he will, I guess he must have been always out of money whenever ive tried other times, and I just never noticed.. :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caffiene

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:19 pm

The thing with him not paying correct prices is a bug in the Appraise, as far as im aware. Ive seen it before on Mysty, etc.

Worst part is it seems to be per item or per item type, so some items can show the correct price while others show an incorrect one. Only ever noticed it working for bad appraise rolls, not for good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Squeak

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Anyhow ontopic, the breaking open chests and getting less items is at least active one two chests that I know of, likely more but once I figured it was I started unlocking them all the time if I could and leave break for last resort.

Squeak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ackptuoi

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:55 am

Hmm i thought this chest stuff was already active.

There are a number of chests and containers that I have smashed multiple times and gotten only coins and the like, but seem to get items if the lock is picked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jamoise

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:51 am

hard to tell though, cause ive always detrapped and picked open chests and many times theres been nothing in them. The loot is so random its very hard to know if theres nothing there because the random loot decided to be nothing, or it was because the chest was destroyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Relexx

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 pm

This was all considered when there server was originally created ...

A core component and decision process was to enable the variance in as many components of the game as we could. Just to list a few
- Spawnable and despawnable creatures/objects
- Treasure

The idea behind it was to try and ensure that the player experience would subtly change each time a player went into an area, or revisited an area.

But that is what we originally did, I don't know what Spor and his team may have done to change any of this.

Since then I have created a spawn system that changes factions based upon howmany times grotty players kill a mob vs how many times they are spawned. That way you could create a learned agressiveness and passiveness in the monsters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caffiene

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:21 am

Relexx wrote:
- Spawnable and despawnable creatures/objects

The idea behind it was to try and ensure that the player experience would subtly change each time a player went into an area, or revisited an area.
I dont know about the others, but Ive noticed a few of the objects that change each reset, and theyre very nice. Really does make the areas seem a bit more alive when piles of bones are in different places each visit, etc.

The random treasure is maybe not quite as successful imo, because it has a little bit too much variance. Some visits to an area you find thousands upon thousands of gp more than you would expect for the CR, and other times you find not a single thing after two hours of hacking your way through extreme danger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Relexx

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Caffiene wrote:
The random treasure is maybe not quite as successful imo, because it has a little bit too much variance. Some visits to an area you find thousands upon thousands of gp more than you would expect for the CR, and other times you find not a single thing after two hours of hacking your way through extreme danger.
So a bigger and badder monster beat you to the loot then ... you will have to be faster Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy B

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:36 am

Actually when I find good treasure somewhere, I dump some junk in the chest before I go to make other people not think there is anything valuable there. Therefore they'll not come back and try and steal the good stuff before me another time Razz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kat

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:27 am

Always knew that underneath all that gentlemanly exterior you were really horribly evil Andy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy B

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:38 am

Hey, it is IC - just Tristan that is like that, I take no responsibility for his actions

Regardless, if you don't have the potential for evil, you can never choose to be good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!   

Back to top Go down

breaking open chests to get to the goodies inside?!
Page 1 of 1