Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
All

It has been a good run with Aeon, but all things run their course and come to an end. I have watched Aeon slowly grow then die off as people moved onto other interests or found worlds that appeal to them more. Instead of leaving the server up and running empty, I have decided to turn off the server and close the player portion of the forums.

I would like to thank those that have put in their time and effort, either as DM's, builders or players. Without your efforts a world can not exist or grow into something more than a concept.

So what next, for me I am not sure, perhaps I shall learn something else perhaps not. I do know my power bill will be smaller next month, so out of sad endings a positive comes.

Goodbye and Goodluck.

Sporaxis
Aeon PW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aeon PW a Never Winter Nights 1, Persistent World.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking for reasons to stay here

Go down 
+2
mykael
The Dark Spoon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Dark Spoon

Looking for reasons to stay here Empty
PostSubject: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Have enjoyed NWN in other servers. Looking for a server that continues the genuine RP tradition. I've given this server a go. I've read the info on the Aeon site and understand this is a work in progress. Yet... is this going to provide stimulus? My RP encounters so far have been adequate for a server that supports individual RP. On further investigation this server is clearly not in that category. Have I intruded on what is a "local network" server? (ie a server of those who know each other well but care little for newcomers) This is what strikes me so far. I understand the occasional "taciturn" type character - hackneyed though it is - yet this seems to be the benchmark. I guess I am saying: are players that are not previously known to those very few who frequent this server welcome? If they are welcome how are they supported? Quite frankly... I get the impression I'm not welcome. Beyond a few condescending remarks I've not been able to engage the locals in converastion. So... you want new players or not? (By the way... I speak for a few NWN refugees looking for a reason to cling to this old favourite)
Back to top Go down
mykael

PostSubject: Re: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 7:35 pm

Frankly, given the numbers of players, there's more than enough room on this server for another group of players or three. The DMs aren't going to be biased, and most of the players already here are refugees from Mysty. There's a few years history there, and a tendency not to invest in building relationships with characters until they've seen them around a few times - been bitten two often by adding a PC into their story only to have them delete a day or two later. Don't take it personally if they treat you like any other NPC until you do something to distinguish yourself.
Back to top Go down
Squeak

Squeak

PostSubject: Re: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 10:59 pm

As Myk said, there's heaps of room for extra groups, infact there is a chance a group will be looking for extra people in the next few weeks that kinda oppose a different group. Generally the best way to get into a group is to start talking to people, that can be on an adventure or around town (for me personally it's best to try and get to know me around town but for others adventuring is better, it just kinda depands on the person). After a few interactions there is a good chance things might start happening with you involved.

Basicly what I'm trying to say in this sleep deprived and drunken state is stick it out mate, given alittle time to get to know you (IC most people wanna know you IC not OOC to deal with you, not all but most) different people IC will begin interacting with you more often. If you still cant get into a tight nit group, try thinking up a random reason to get people to form a group around you, then get talking to them (generally newish chars are easiest to grab if you need extra members of a group as they tend to have more reason to join then some others).

Squeak.
Back to top Go down
The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter

PostSubject: Re: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 2:40 am

mykael wrote:
There's a few years history there, and a tendency not to invest in building relationships with characters until they've seen them around a few times - been bitten two often by adding a PC into their story only to have them delete a day or two later.

Mykael makes a good point. For those of us who have invested in building long term characters, we have a tendency to "wait and see" if a new character is going to be a stayer. What's the point of wasting time befriending a character who deletes a day, or a week later? My character isn't going to be interested in stopping to chat about the weather with someone she's never seen before. However, should your character choose to join her on an organised adventure (for example, the one this sunday) then you are more than likely to get some PC interaction that way.

I think most of the players on this server would like to see more people join, it adds to the depth and interest of the server. I can't say as I recall who your current character/s is, but I hope to continue to see you participating in the activities and finally feeling welcome. I really think people are trying to be inclusive, its just hard to do that with a small player base. The small numbers mean that sometimes there are only a few people on and those characters may not know each other. Smile

Cheers
Mads
Back to top Go down
DM_Phaedrus

DM_Phaedrus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 3:02 am

You are most welcome here, this isn't a private party, we do have a number of players from another server (Mysty), it might appear 'clicky', but I guess they are comfortable with each others RP and the types of character they build. As Myk said, Mysty PCs generally avoid interaction for fear of deletion. From a DMs perspective there is some excellent RP going on, however it is plot and character related and players are investing a lot of time. Other PCs who appear stable and consistent with their RP will gain some momentum over time.

One particular character has stood on a rock with very little interaction from other PCs or DM for weeks now and has steadily but surely been drawn into a number of things. We encourage good RP, but that has to come from a good foundation and PCs that look like they are going to invest something.

I do encourage you to get involved even if its just with IC posts, patience is needed though, I am the only DM running a couple of plotlines with PCs. I am trying my best to be inclusive to the player base as a whole without compromising certain elements of the plots. Some PCs will be getting more attention than others, mainly because they are integral to the central thread within the plot. On a side note, this was/is player led and a result of IC reactions from PCs and myself to certain events that were never planned to be bigger than a weekend romp Wink

With such a small player base it is quite important to maintain some kind of OOC communication about 'organising ' things, simply to keep/bring people together. If your a player that avoids the forums and just rolls with whatevers happening on the server, you will find dissapointment because the player base and the DM team isnt large enough to run things all the time. I guess its almost more like a campaign rather than a PW at the moment.

Because of my limited time with players, I can only do so much. There are several players that appear to have deeper character backgrounds, that I have not had time to follow up with. Maybe a couple of light RP interactions here and there. They have got my interest, but I need time to develop and follow with something to get their interest in return.
For me IC posts work a treat, even if its just one that introduces your character to the 'world' such as thelasthairyhippos 'Blade for Hire' and Johns 'Dwarf King'. These help to get a DMs notice and give the player base some perspective.

Please do percivere, we are trying to build a quality RP server with NWN refugees in mind, this is our intention, I guess some of us just can't let this old game go. But its the players that make the server, not the content, not the DMs, not the Uber monsters.

If you have anything in mind my PM box is always open for fresh ideas.

This lot are fickle and anyone who might appear to have gained DM support will suddenly become your best friend jocolor

*points at everyone and then cowers behind his monitor waiting for the flamefest*
Back to top Go down
sporaxis
Admin
sporaxis

PostSubject: Re: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 1:44 pm

I might as well throw my two cents in.

If you are undecided and feel that you need reasons to stay, then you either need to explore your rationale for playing here or moving on. It matters little each way as long as you are happy and still enjoying playing the game regardless of the server. The server is growing and gaining size and complexity though currently it is immature and needs a lot more. The builders and dms can add a lot of content and story but without the critical mass of engaged players, well it is just a 'local network server'.

Stick around or go, it matters not, though sticking around means you help grow a world and become a player in a community of good fun people. Yes there are some weird ones in the group and some tossers (well at times) but over all good people. The characters are developing and the world is too, so you can either be one of those that lead and actively engage or one who follows or well one who says this is not what I want and goes. Each has it's merits and you need to decide what is best for you.

I don't get time to play and in all seriousness I love role playing but I do get an inordinate amount of joy in watching you guys play. This is why I build and host, and much why the others of the Aeon team do so. Aeon will grow through many paths and input, worst case sceanario, you stop by in the future and stay or pass through.
Back to top Go down
http://sporaxis.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for reasons to stay here   Looking for reasons to stay here Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for reasons to stay here
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aeon PW :: Player Discussion Area :: Player - Open Forum-
Jump to: